1956 Suez Crisis

Written by the wife of an Egyptian Soldier

The Suez Canal brought Egypt a lot of prosperity, as well as strife. In 1956 the Suez crisis occurred. Britain and France disapproved of Egypt’s efforts to nationalize the Suez Canal Company and decided to do something about it. They let Israel in on their scheme to invade Egypt and take control of the Suez Canal. Israel agreed to the alliance because we denied them access to the canal, which they were hoping, would be lifted if the war were won. On October 29, 1956, Israel invaded Egypt and Britain and France followed on November fifth and sixth. The United States Administration, international community, and the United Nations admonished this event so the foreign troops were instructed to return to their countries. I was relieved that the United States considered this attack as too aggressive. I did not want our country to go into another brutal and long war where many more would be killed.

The aggression against Egypt caused two United Nations Security Council resolutions and one General Assembly resolution. A week following the invasion, Britain and France filed a complaint that produced Security Council Resolution 118, the decision was unanimous. On October 31 Egypt lodged a complaint against France and Britain that concluded in Security Council resolution 119. The vote was seven in favor, and two objections. The resolutions were that there would be open passing through the canal with respect to Egyptian powers, a cease-fire and withdrawal of troops, and the continuation of the Suez Canal. I think everyone was pretty much happy with the results of their complaints. Israel was permitted to use the canal but they had to follow our rules, and there would be no huge war, which was good to hear. My husband is a soldier and I am close with many of his friends who also serve our great country. I get nervous when I hear rumors of a battle because I never know if my husband will return safely. For now I am thankful that he is not fighting and is safe here with me.